Loading...
AC224_UNITED_APPEALS_AGENCY_RECORDSTHE TYRRELL HISTORICAL LIBRARY AC -224 The United Appeals Agency Records DESCRIPTION In 1898, the Beaumont Charily Club was established for the purpose of distributing food, clothes, medicine and general aid to "the worthy poor." With the discovery of oil at Spindletop in January, 1901, the remarkable boom that followed altered the character of the city and immediately brought an immense increase of individuals and families needing relief and charily. In the fall of 1902, a handful of Beaumomers organized the United Charities for the purpose of administering to the poor. The United Charities is credited with being the local forernnner of large-scale local community drives for charily. In 1925, Beaumomers felt the community could best serve the needy by joining the popular community fund movement the "Community Chest." This movement increased the number of contributors, making social work and concern for the needy the responsibility of the entire community. In 1952, the local citizens overwhelmingly approved a one-time money raising organization to be named the "United Appeals." The United Appeals organization remained a success through local business pledges and individual contributions. In 1979, United Appeals became the present day United Way of Beaumont and North Jefferson County. The United Way is governed by a board of trustees which elects a campaign chairman on a yearly basis. It derives its prime revenue through the 'fair share' method in which donors contribute one (1) hour pay per month for each working person employed in a local business or industry, or a "leadership giver" which endows one (1) percent of his income. Additional fund raisers are sponsored by local campaign volunteers. These funds are distributed to over thirty-four (34) agencies throughout the Beaumont and North Jefferson County. The agencies contribute a worthwhile service to their local community. No Restrictions Apply