Loading...
AC210_AVERILL_SCHOOL_PARENT_TEACHER_ASSOCIATIONTYRRELL HISTORICAL LIBRARY AC -210 Averill School Parent-Teacher Association Collection Dates: 1917-1925; 1933-1934 Description The school was located on a block bound by North and Seventh streets and Hazel Avenue. The Averill School PTA was organized on February 22, 1917. Averill School was named for Col. W.C. Averill. The school colors are black and goldthesame as those of Princeton University, Averill's alma mater. First elected officers were: Mrs. M. Guterman, president; Mrs. W. J. Crawford, 1st vice president; Mrs. J. A. Bordages, 2nd vice president; Mrs. A. J. Kaulbach, 3rd vice president; Mrs. R. E. Davis, recording secretary; Mrs. C. R. Bone, corresponding secretary; Mrs. W. F. Taliaferro, treasurer. Averill School was built and ready for use in 1910. It consisted of eight rooms and a basement. The first Averill Faculty dates as early as 1910 under the superintendent, H.F. Triplett. This collection consists of one scrapbook dating from 1933 through 1935. The P.T.A. scrapbook depicts the organization's activities for the years mentioned. A photograph of Averill School is placed at the beginning of the scrapbook. A financial report, total number of members, Beaumont Enterprise and Journal articles, recreational activities, a photograph of the Baby Band and Harmonica Boys of Averill School, and a list of suggestions for home study make the P.T.A. Scrapbook. Also included is a book of minutes for the years 1917 to 1925. Scope and Content Collection consists of one book of minutes (194 pp.) for the years 1917-1925 and one scrapbook (37 pp.) for the scholastic year 1933-1934.