Loading...
AC204_BEAUMONT_CLUB_COLLECTIONTHE TYRRELL HISTORICAL LIBRARY AC- 204 The Beaumont Club Collection, circa 1922-1984 DESCRIPTION The incipience of the Beaumont Club began in the autumn of 1921, with the club to be headquartered at the Hotel Beaumont. The construction of the Hotel Beaumont was on the main agenda of the local chamber of commerce; Beaumont's latest high-rise (the Hotel Beaumont) was first promulgated as a chamber of commerce enterprise, and was to be financed through the sale of stock to Beaumont citizens. As plans materialized, some members developed the idea of including an elegant high class civic club available for male membership only. George L. Adsit was elected as the first president of the Beaumont Club. Mr. Adsit found the principal difficulty encountered in perfecting the organization lay in getting the directors together for a meeting to discuss by-laws; the directors were very busy in those days and the idea of assembling to iron out problems for a club that had not become an actuality did not meet altogether enthusiastic arrangements. The Beaumont Club became the city's oldest and most stable private club, surviving the great depression era by maintaining a membership role between 250 and 300 members. The Club was considered the finest private club in the Golden Triangle area by many. It was often described by its membership as a haven of rest for the tired businessman. The Club, located on the tenth floor of Hotel Beaumont, consisted of a large lounging and reading room, grill, pool, billiard and card room that occupied a greater portion of the club's quarters. The Club's private dining rooms, including the outside Terrace patio Area, offered bountiful buffet lunches. These lunches were served six days a week and were considered the finest cuisine served to the most prestigious clientele in Beaumont. The Beaumont Club collection (ten (10) cubic feet) consists of two (2) boxes of papers indexed at the folder level. The collection is organized into series of correspondence, financial and printed materials. The collection also includes six (6) cubic feet of partially identified photographs taken at business and social events, one (1) box containing four (4) dues and withdrawals ledger books, two (2) scrapbooks (30"x 34") taken during the Neches River Festival during the conclusive years 1950-1984 and seventeen (17) charcoal portraits of past presidents of the Beaumont Club from 1922-1977. No restrictions apply