Loading...
AC082_REVEREND_C_F_L_GRAHAM_FAMILY_PAPERSDescriptive Sheet The Reverend C.F.L. Graham Family Papers AC -082 General Type: Papers Physical Description: 1 Linear Ft. Inclusive Dates: 1921-1990 Donor: Charles F. Graham DESCRIPTION The Reverend Dr. Charles Frank Luckett Graham Jr. was born in Friendship Village, New Guyana in 1889. Dr. Graham received his Bachelor of Arts Degree in Education from Talladega College in Alabama in 1910, and his PhD from Oskaloosa International College, Ohio in 1917. Dr. Graham was sent to Beaumont by the American Missionary Association of New York City and instructed to establish a church particularly interested in every phase of Negro life in Beaumont and surrounding territories. In 1918 he established and organized the Graham Congregation Church. Dr. Graham became nationally known for his work with members of his race, educationally, sociologically, and religiously. In the years from 1928 to 1993, Dr. Graham was successful in accomplishing such feats as organizing the first black YMCA, establishing the first black hospital in Beaumont, establishing the first community health association and the Barnwell Community Center located at 1960 Gladys Street. This center provided a nine fold approach to community Negro life and published Beaumont's only Negro monthly magazine. Dr. Graham expired on November 18, 1993. This collection contains five folders consisting of one (1) notebook containing required documentation data in order to submit an application for a Texas State Historical Marker through the Jefferson County Historical Commission and the Texas State Historical Commission, one black and white photograph, six (6) color photographs of the Graham family members, one (1) dedicatory program of the L. L. Melton family YMCA, pamphlets from the Barnwell Community Center, correspondence, five (5) newspaper clippings concerning the Graham family and military orders and commendation citations from the 92nd Infantry Division, three (3) color photographs of Dr. Graham, Mrs. Graham, and the Historical Marker placed at 1960 Gladys Street on September 19, 1991. No Restrictions Apply.