Loading...
AC069_BEAUMONT_CHAMBER_OF_COMMERCE_BOARD_OF_DIRECTORS_AND_EXECUTIVE_COMMITTEE_MINUTES_AND_RECORDSDescriptive Sheet The Beaumont Chamber of Commerce AC -069 Board of Directors and Executive Inventory R Committee Minutes and Records Available r General Type: Records Physical Description: 2 cubic feet Inclusive Dates: 1911-1969 Donor: The Beaumont Chamber of Commerce DESCRIPTION The Beaumont Chamber of Commerce formed during the height of the first Spindletop oil boom, on January 23, 1903. One hundred and sixty—five individuals signed on as charter members. The Beaumont Chamber of Commerce began an active program of initiating, and participating in, capitalist economic development projects. Much of the Chamber's early work was promotional, such as organization of the Southeast Texas State Fair in 1909 and promotion of the oil industry in the 1920s. During the 1950s and 1960s, the Chamber commissioned industrial studies and continued promotional efforts. In 1970, however, new leadership put an end to what it called "ceremonial functions" and moved the Chamber forward in a new program of action. Although the collection's inclusive dates are 1911 to 1969, a significant gap exists between 1918 and 1929. The researcher will find the collection arranged chronologically by volume, beginning in 1911. The minutes record discussions made concerning committee projects, Chamber programs, and development and publicity activities. Also included are correspondence and Chamber resolutions. Despite the predominance of oil to the area's economy, the Chamber made a concerted effort at diversifying the economy. Much of the organization's early efforts surrounded the promotion of immigration and agriculture. No restrictions apply.