Loading...
AC006_BEAUMONT_PUBLIC_LIBRARY_COLLECTIONTHE TYRRELL HISTORICAL LIBRARY AC -006 The Beaumont Public Library Collection 111 Due SI WY[IMI During the 1890's, the V. Weiss Hook and Ladder Company maintained a reading room open to the public of Beaumont. Similarly, in 1902, the Temperance Hall Association opened a reading room to the public. It was not until 1919, however, that the city officially passed an ordinance providing for the establishment and maintenance of a public library. In 1922, a library council named by Mayor B. A. Steinhagan, began plans for acquiring a book collection and library building. The Tyrrell Public Library, founded in 1923, served the population of Beaumont until a modern library building opened in 1974. The collection consists of six scrapbooks, five folders and a photograph collection. The scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings cut from the Beaumont Enterprise/Journal and other area papers pertaining to library activities and functions. The folders contain publications and memorabilia from the Beaumont Public Library. No restrictions apply